[Ecls-list] Project status and changes (please read)

Dima Pasechnik dimpase+ecl at gmail.com
Fri Oct 18 20:04:10 UTC 2013

Dear all,
my only use of ECL so far is to run Maxima, as a part of Sage, or standalone,
so let me stick to the issues that affect this use. In particular ECL
is very valuable for Sage and
is much appreciated among Sage developers, as far as I know.

On 7 October 2013 09:54, Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll
<juanjose.garciaripoll at gmail.com> wrote:

[...]
> * I am not going to change ECL's license. LGPL3's restrictions on web
> applications seem stupid to me and, as experience has shown, making such a
> move will only make things worse. Already LGPL2 is a hindrance, but I can
> live with it.

I don't know what makes one think that LGPLv3 has issues with web applications.
This applies to AGPL, but not to LGPL, as far as I know.

> * This said, GMP v5 is insufficient for several platforms but I will
> maintain it as it is. On platforms where GMP becomes obsolete, it will shift
> to building with "C" (i.e. no optimized assembly code). I tested this on
> Cygwin/64 and it works -- indeed it is part of the source tree right now. If
> you need a better GMP, build ECL with the one that your operating system
> provides and be tied to its license.

IMHO it doesn't look very wise to lock oneself into use of an old
unsupported version
just for the sake of a minor license issue - and it looks the very
point of sticking with LGPLv2
isn't looking convincing (see above).

> * I am abandoning things that I cannot support or that represent an
> inconvenience. CVS support is dropped as of now. I will probably remove the
> repository in a few weeks to enforce this. Git is working pretty well on
> Windows, as I have been able to verify, and SF's git repository works behind
> a firewall just nice, while CVS does not.

Regarding CVS, I'd only say: good riddance :–)

> I am sorry that things reached this point, but sometimes it is better to
> accept reality than to fight against it. Now it is time for you to speak or
> act. If you feel that this hijacks your interest on the project, there's no
> worry: just say it so :-)

It would be a big hassle for Sage to migrate to another CL implementation.
So I hope ECL will stay alive and well :-)

This message is just my personal point of view, I don't speak on behalf of Sage.

Best,
Dima