[Ecls-list] Project status and changes (please read)

Dietrich Bollmann dietrich at formgames.org
Mon Oct 14 04:06:46 UTC 2013

Dear Juanjo,

Thank you very much for your diligent and hard work over such a long period
of time!

It is very sad to hear about your decision.  But as you say:  sometimes it
is better to accept reality than to fight against it.

> * First of all, ECL no longer relates to my own work. On the contrary,
other open source projects that I carry on (
https://github.com/juanjosegarciaripoll?tab=repositories) are more directly
related to my research and are demanded by my group. This is detracting
development time from the project, but there is little I can do, as that
numerical software is what feeds our bellies right now.

It seems that your other projects are based mainly on C, C++ and Perl?  I
imagine that ECL could be an ideal wrapper / scripting tool to unify them
into one powerful framework which would make experimentation with your
libraries much easier.

It would be wonderful if there was funding for such a project so that you
could "feed" your "bellies" at least partly by working on ECL.  But I am
sure you thought about this yourself...

> [...] I spend more time writing grant applications and bureaucracy than I
do in front of Emacs. Quite frustrating as it is, I only see it worsening
in the near future.

Unfortunately this seems to be the general tendency.  I wonder if some day
we will spent all our time "managing" each other - while there is no time
left for actual work.  Getting rid of all this bureaucracy and being able
to use the money for the research itself would be wonderful.

> * *I am resigning and opening the position of ECL maintainer for anyone
to take*. I will grant him or her with full administrative rights and full
responsibility over the project's future. No need to fork the project: if
you really feel you can make it better, step ahead and take it. I will
remain as a support developer and help you as much as I can.

It will be very very difficult to find somebody with the necessary
knowledge, experience, and motivation to take over your position, I fear.

Thanks again for all your help and work,  with my best wishes for you and
ECL's future,

Dietrich