[Ecls-list] ECL and UIs

Jason Sewall jasonsewall at gmail.com
Wed May 1 16:49:16 UTC 2013

On Tue, Apr 30, 2013 at 11:07 PM, Mark Cox <markcox80 at gmail.com> wrote:

>> , partially because of its limited development
>> support and partially because of its heavily vertically integrated
>> architecture.
>
> I am not sure what a vertically integrated architecture is, but the limited development support can only be improved with funding or your own personal time. Ironically, both of these things are subject to long term viability.

I meant that EQL is some version of ECL distributed with custom Qt
bindings. The downside is that upstream changes in ECL may or may not
be available in EQL until the maintainer incorporates it. I understand
and anticipated the 'why don't you fix it' line, and I'm on board with
helping out, but from an objective point of view, it's maybe not
reasonable to expect all users of your library to be fixing/improving
it. Imagine the maintainers of gtk or Qt giving the same advice to
someone who found problems with their C libraries.

Thanks for your feedback, and I may just trouble you for some CommonQt help.

Cheers,
Jason