[Ecls-list] ECL as an embedded language on an Android game

Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll juanjose.garciaripoll at gmail.com
Thu Jul 11 09:43:15 UTC 2013

On Mon, Jul 8, 2013 at 1:41 PM, Anton Vodonosov <avodonosov at yandex.ru>wrote:

> I think people do not often cross compile Lisp code for other platforms.
> Therefore not so many information is published. You can search the mailing
> list.
> But also, as I said, you should understand how the build process works.

Some weeks ago I introduced one more abstraction in the compiler: machine
objects. They group information about a target platform, such as types,
integer sizes, compilers, libraries, etc. The idea would be that a single
compiler should be capable of producing code for multiple targets,
automating what people are already doing.

However, the fact that lisp code needs to load former instances of itself
to compile new code may still have subtle side effects -- i.e. one macro
inspects the value of most-positive-fixnum and uses that value as is
instead of the symbol name to produce types, optimized code, etc. This
means that cross-compiling in the lisp world is not that easy and for
certain type of code it might be even impossible.