[Ecls-list] ECL as an embedded language on an Android game

Pascal J. Bourguignon pjb at informatimago.com
Sat Jul 6 09:35:35 UTC 2013

Matthew Mondor <mm_lists at pulsar-zone.net>
writes:

> On Sat, 06 Jul 2013 09:38:20 +0400
> Anton Vodonosov <avodonosov at yandex.ru> wrote:
>
>> > 1 - Licensing/the ecl-android build process. ECL is LGPL, which
>> means I can't statically link against it without open sourcing my
>> project (which I can't), but ecl-android generates a static library
>> for it. Since there are so many files and generators, I don't even
>> know where to start to change it to a shared library.
>>
>> You are mistaken here - you can link with LGPL libraries without open sourcing your code.
>> This is exactly the difference between GPL and LGPL.
>
> Unless I'm mistaken (disclaimer: I'm no lawyer), dynamic linking is
> fine, as it allows to fulfill the requirement that the user be able to
> upgrade the LGPL dependencies, while static linking might be
> problematic...

You can use a static LGPL library, as long as you provide your
proprietary .o, and the Makefile to link them with a substituted static
library (used modified or different implementation).

You know you've been lisping too long when you see a recent picture of George
Lucas and think "Wait, I thought John McCarthy was dead!" -- Dalek_Baldwin