[Ecls-list] GMP -> MPIR

Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll juanjose.garciaripoll at gmail.com
Fri Aug 30 12:50:59 UTC 2013

On Fri, Aug 30, 2013 at 11:15 AM, Matthew Mondor
<mm_lists at pulsar-zone.net> wrote:
> Would it only be for the Windows port?  I only looked for matches for
> MPIR, but I fail to see ready packages for MPIR on NetBSD or Ubuntu (I
> didn't check on other systems yet).

These libraries seem to be rather system-independent, at least in the
unix world. I would not be surprised if they built out-of-the box in
NetBSD as well -- Sage, for instance, relies on it for all platforms
it supports.

Note that I do not intend to change the interface. ECL would continue
to build with GMP, and for platforms that make it easy to pull in
arbitrary software (Linux *BSD, etc) this is the recommended option.
However, elsewhere we need a library that can be packed together with
ECL and which does not have license problems -- GMP switched to a more
restrictive license and this means I cannot upgrade ECL to use newer
versions.