[Ecls-list] ECL and UIs

Jason Sewall jasonsewall at gmail.com
Tue Apr 30 18:42:12 UTC 2013

I have a C library I have been working on and I'd like to use (Common)
Lisp to write a UI to go on top of it.

I first seized upon ECL for the Lisp, since I could easily make an
interface to the library, and I had a notion at CommonQt might be a
good way to do the UI. Of course, I can put lots of UI material into
the C lib and export that to Lisp myself, but I'd really prefer to
leverage something that already exists.

Leaving the details of the individual hurdles I've come across aside,
I haven't gotten anywhere. It seems like every GUI toolkit for Lisp I
come across is poorly maintained and/or doesn't work with ECL.

I know my way around pure Common Lisp, but I don't have much
experience with libraries for it.

What would you folks do? Does anyone do this? It seems like building
the UI in lisp would be much more flexible and fun than doing it in C!

Cheers,
Jason

P.S. I posted this to /r/lisp in Reddit earlier, but figured this
might be a better place to ask.

P.P.S. I have seen EQL, and it is quite nice, but I am concerned about
it's long-term viability, partially because of its limited development
support and partially because of its heavily vertically integrated
architecture.