[Ecls-list] ASDF and *LOAD-VERBOSE*

Matthew Mondor mm_lists at pulsar-zone.net
Fri Apr 26 09:56:51 UTC 2013

Hello again,

My apologies if this is not the proper list to ask this, but since it's
an ECL specific ASDF code path:

I noticed that when loading ASDF it now disables *LOAD-VERBOSE* which
usually defaults to T on ECL:

#+ecl
(eval-when (:load-toplevel :compile-toplevel :execute)
  (setf *load-verbose* nil)
  (defun use-ecl-byte-compiler-p () (and (member :ecl-bytecmp *features*) t))
  (unless (use-ecl-byte-compiler-p) (require :cmp)))

This is not a big deal as I can SETF *LOAD-VERBOSE* to T if I
load/REQUIRE ASDF, but it is unexpected.

Will this be a permanent future ASDF change?  If so, could I suggest an
ASDF-specific configuration option for load verbosity?  Or if it's an
ASDF requirement that it be off, shouldn't ASDF instead dynamically
bind it to NIL where needed?

If none of these make sense to ASDF maintainers/integrators then I'll
just SETF the verbosity after loading ASDF from now on, which is
fortunately still possible.

Thanks,
--
Matt