[Ecls-list] ECL performance with respect to OpenAxiom

Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll juanjose.garciaripoll at gmail.com
Tue Oct 30 10:48:46 UTC 2012

On Tue, Oct 30, 2012 at 11:01 AM, Gabriel Dos Reis <
gdr at integrable-solutions.net> wrote:

> I've reported, on several occasions, in the past that
> an ECL-based build of OpenAxiom takes a very long time
> (usually over 2 or 4 hours.)   Well, with current CVS
> mainline, ECL builds OpenAxiom about 20min on my machine.
> It could be argued that it is just a better machine, but on the
> same machine SBCL takes approximately the same time.
> So, whatever you've done lately, that was great!  (Is it because
> of better IO or GC implementation?)  I thought I should
> report that impressive improvement :-)

Wow, this is really encouraging. I can see various reasons why the build is
now faster. Some optimisations were accidentally deactivated in the past,
and slot accessors is now way way faster thanks to specific dispatch code.
Does Axiom use a lot of structures and CLOS objects? If so, it can also
profit from a more relaxed safety level which is similar to that of SBCL's
and which also prevented certain inline code...

It was always on my todo list to have a look at the OpenAxiom builds again,
but job gets in the way so often!

Now, if only debugging with ECL could be just as pleasant
> as with SBCL... ;-)

Yeah, *I* would also love that :-)