[Ecls-list] Can we remove asdf-ecl ?

Faré fahree at gmail.com
Thu Nov 29 13:59:11 UTC 2012

> I am preserving the README from asdf (updated to the latest version) and
> README.ECL will be simply upgraded to reflect the fact that we use a
> different ASDF repository and that the other files are part of asdf-bundle.
> This is the text as it is being committed right now:
>
> The copies of asdf.lisp and README in this directory are complete and
> unchanged from the canonical common-lisp.net repository.  They may
> lag the git version by a few revisions (but shouldn't usually) but
> unless we've fouled up horribly, are not forked.
>
> The remaining files are part of asdf-bundle, a subproject from ASDF
> which, building on the ideas from asdf-ecl, offers the possibility
> of building standalone applications, joining FASL files, etc. The
> canonical repo for asdf-bundle so far is
> git://common-lisp.net/projects/asdf/asdf-bundle.git
> and it does not have a webpage yet.
>
> The file asdf-ecl.lisp is kept for historical purposes as a reference, but
> its functionality has been superseded by asdf-bundle.

I've merged all the asdf-bundle files into a single asdf-bundle.lisp,
to make your life (and Xach's) easier.

You can diff it with asdf-ecl.lisp and decide if there's anything left
out of interest.

Now that it's working on plenty of platforms, and considering the
headaches with Quicklisp, I'm starting to seriously considering
merging it into asdf.lisp itself.

Also now that you use .fasb to distinguish the fasl of a system from
the fasl of a same-named file in the system, whereas I use the suffix
.system.$FASL and .system-and-dependencies.$FASL.

Political tags — such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist,
liberal, conservative and so forth — are never basic criteria. The human race
divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who
have no such desire. The former are idealists acting from higher motives for
the greatest good of the greatest number. The latter are surly curmudgeons,
suspicious and lacking in altruism. But they are more comfortable neighbors
than the other sort.
        — Robert Heinlein, "Time Enough For Love"