[Ecls-list] Building native EXE on Windows is too hard!

Matthew Mondor mm_lists at pulsar-zone.net
Wed Nov 7 22:33:17 UTC 2012

On Wed, 7 Nov 2012 15:16:57 +0200
Ralph Möritz <ralph.moeritz at outlook.com> wrote:

> 2. Why do we manually have to set C::*COMPILE-IN-CONSTANTS* to T?

Some compilers have difficulty with large C constant strings, such that
ECL had to append the data to the fasl files instead, but I thought
that this problem was mainly a Visual C++ limitation (perhaps it's no
longer the case if *COMPILE-IN-CONSTANTS* now works for you)?

I admit having to myself enable this as part of my build scripts, as
it's no problem with GCC and it's friendlier to binutils.
I guess that at ECL build time, if autoconfiguration can reliably test
for this limitation, it'd be possible to have it default to T with
compilers that support large string constants?

> 3. A command-line switch like Gambit-C's -exe to build an EXE from Lisp code would be nice :)

Does "ecl -o <executable> -link <objects>" work?  I personally have
no experience with ECL on Windows though.
--
Matt