[Ecls-list] ECL and raspberry pi?

Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll juanjose.garciaripoll at gmail.com
Sun Jul 22 09:50:44 UTC 2012

On Sat, Jul 21, 2012 at 10:40 PM, H Durer <h.duerer at gmail.com> wrote:

> Now that I finally have a raspberry pi, I was going to try to do some
> lisp on it.

Nice little device!

> I installed the raspbian distribution which is based on Debian
> (wheezy).  ecl is the only common lisp that seems to be available.
> But the version delivered seems to be non-unicode.

Yes, the default builds were non-unicode before. ECL has now switched to
Unicode and threads by default -- though the Unicode support was all the
time there.

> That seem to be happening in a make-array with element type
> char-code-integer from which I deduce that the ecl (11.1.1) does not
> support unicode.

Again, it is not that it was not supported: it was not active by default.

> I tried compiling a recent version from source but without any flags I
> get an error about unsupported ARM codes being used:

The problems arise not because of an ECL component but because of a library
we use: libatomic-ops. This library is needed to implement user-space
locking routines (mutexes, message passing queues, etc) without resorting
to complex and expensive operating system calls. There are two escape
routes here:
#1 You disable support for threads, with --disable-threads at configuration
time
#2 You install libatomic-ops from Debian and use it in ECL

#1 might be the easiest one.