[Ecls-list] Is ECL really interpreted ?

ecky at ecky.fr ecky at ecky.fr
Sun Jul 15 20:41:35 UTC 2012

Hello,

I'm currently evaluating the possibility to use ECL for my software-project and it is important for me that the language I use is interpreted with optional partial compilation on demande (for optimisation reasons). I wonder if ECL has this capacity, because i tested (after having installed ECL) the following code snippet (from the book "Object-Oriented Common Lisp") and I'm getting unexpected results:

(defun test1 (n)
  (do ((i 0 (+ i 1)))
      ((> i n) i)
      (+ i 1)))

(functionp #'test1)

(compiled-function-p #'test1)

It's the last T that surprises me, should be NIL!? Only if you issue the command (compile 'test1) it should get compiled ...

Next question would be, how can I dynamically load à shared library (or any other) manually by the program in order to access the functions it contains (the program will know itself which library to load and when ...).

Thanx for any information on the subject.
ecky