[Ecls-list] Build system on Cygwin

Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll juanjose.garciaripoll at gmail.com
Fri Aug 17 10:23:13 UTC 2012

On Fri, Aug 17, 2012 at 12:13 PM, Jean-Pierre Flori <jpflori at gmail.com>wrote:

> 2012/8/15 Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll <juanjose.garciaripoll at gmail.com>:
> > Feel free to do so, but you will have to make sure you fix the fact that
> ECL
> > is currently NOT using import libraries in any of the ports (cygwin,
> mingw,
> > msvc)
>
> ECL build system does not produce import libraries on Cygwin, MinGW
> and MSVC (although I have not and will not test this last target).
> What I would propose is to let the build system follow the naming
> scheme proposed by Cygwin (renaming lib/ecl.dll to bin/cygecl-xxx.dll)
> and MinGW (renaming lib/ecl.dll to bin/libecl.dll).

What I meant is precisely this:

Currently ECL only creates one file (*.dll or *.fas) per compiled file.
When it has to link them together with an executable, it uses the fact that
both cygwin and mingw handle DLLs directly, providing the files and the
-lecl flag. I am just worried that if you change the name to cygecl.dll or
whatever convention is used, the -lecl would stop to work, as cygwin might
look for a file libecl.dll.a (explained in the webpage you linked).

That's all. I am not demanding that you remain silent :-) I just want to
make sure that the change in the name convention does not break building
ECL or its tools.