[Ecls-list] I need a little help please

Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll juanjose.garciaripoll at googlemail.com
Fri Nov 18 09:01:05 UTC 2011

On Fri, Nov 18, 2011 at 12:45 AM, Paul Bowyer <pbowyer at olynet.com> wrote:

> I've been running ECL in slime to experiment with some CLX test code.
>  In a fresh instance of slime, the first compilation of the code produces:
> [...]
> ;;; Note:
> ;;;   Unknown type (VALUES NUMBER). Assuming it is T.
> ;;; Note:
> ;;;   Unknown type (VALUES REAL). Assuming it is T.

[...]

This is harmless. The optimizer found this type specifier somewhere in the
code, but ECL currently does not handle VALUES type declarations in the
compiler. That's all.

> Then the command to compile and load produces:
> [...]
> Running the code with (xapp:main) produces an error:
> Asynchronous ID-CHOICE-ERROR in request 11 (last request was 13)  Code
> 55.0 [CreateGC] ID #x1
>   [Condition of type XLIB:ID-CHOICE-ERROR]
>
> and I get the following from the describe output in the code:
>
> #<gcontext :0 1> is an instance of class GCONTEXT
> XLIB::ID :    1
> XLIB:DISPLAY :    #<display :0 (The X.Org Foundation R96)>
> XLIB:DRAWABLE :    #<window :0 ad>
> XLIB::CACHE-P :    T
> XLIB::SERVER-STATE :    #(3 4294967295 255 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 NIL NIL 0 0 NIL 0
> 1 0 0 0
>                       0 4 1 NIL NIL NIL 1)
> XLIB::LOCAL-STATE :    #(3 4294967295 255 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 NIL NIL 0 0 NIL 0
> 1 0 0 0
>                      0 4 1 NIL NIL NIL 1)
> XLIB::PLIST :    NIL
> XLIB::NEXT :    NIL

[...]

It seems like I'm not able to access the CLX functions even though the code
> compiles, although I don't know what the initial Unknown type messages are
> all about. Do I need to take more steps to access the CLX functions?

I am not sure what you mean by "not able to access the CLX functions". It
seems that your code was indeed able to call XLIB's functions. What is
shown above is a protocol error, am I wrong? As Matthew explained, it may
be due to CLX, but it might also be due to ECL corrupting the communication
(unlikely but possible). I will try with some other machine myself.