[Ecls-list] ecl include and library directories

Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll juanjose.garciaripoll at googlemail.com
Sun May 22 16:17:23 UTC 2011

On Sun, May 22, 2011 at 10:28 AM, Nils Bruin <nbruin at cecm.sfu.ca> wrote:

> I am having some trouble with figuring out the default choices of the
> values of some of the paths used by the ECL compiler.

I am sorry you had to waste some time with this because of my late answer.

ECL has two installation modes, one follows the Unix hierarchy with
/usr/include, /usr/lib, etc, the other one has everything in the same
directory (Logical pathname SYS:), as it is traditional in Windows.

In short, the Unix mode

${prefix}/bin/ecl -> executable
${libdir} = ${prefix}/lib -> shared library
${libdir}/ecl-##.#.# -> ECL's private files
${includedir}/ecl = ${prefix}/include/ecl -> ECL's headers

The relocatable mode

${prefix}/ecl.exe -> executable
${prefix}/ecl/ -> include dir
${prefix}/ -> shared libraries
${prefix}/ -> ECL's private files

The first approach is fixed, hardcoded paths, the second one is the only one
in ECL that allows relocation: it finds its executable file and from there
it can compute all the rest.

ECL's current logic is designed to detect which of the two is the one we are
using, while you were trying to get a mixture of both: do relocation while
preserving some Unix structure _outside_ ECL's world. I never felt this was
the right approach, since to me relocation is associated to being
self-contained. However, feel free to work along this direction if you wish.

Cheers,