[Ecls-list] Configuration patch

Didier Verna didier at lrde.epita.fr
Mon Jan 24 13:39:23 UTC 2011

Marko Kocić <marko.kocic at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Discussion about including ECL into XEmacs
>
> Did you actually talked with XEmacs maintainers about using ECL in
> Xemacs in the way you described? What are the chances it will got
> accepted in mainline if it happen?

  Not sure who you're talking to exactly here :-)

As one of the XEmacs maintainers (Jerry's also around these days), I can
tell you that (at least part of) the review board already discussed
those ideas quite often. I know of at least one other maintainer who
would strongly disagree with me and Jerry, as he would be on the
pro-scheme side. That may not be enough for preventing the change to
happen, if it ever becomes more than just a pie-in-the-sky thought. We
are in fact, I think, a majority of pro-CL maintainers.

> Also, XEmacs project looks a bit stale now, at least looking at the
> commit logs.

  The project is less active than before, yes (I for one have much less
time to devote to it than I used to). But it's not completely stale.
Most of the activity is currently devoted to moving to the GPL v3, which
is a showstopper for many other things including syncing stuff from GNU
Emacs.

On the other hand one other guy is doing a lot of work to make our ELisp
more common-lisp like and I've been developing a CLOS implementation for
XEmacs. This is also an indication that there *is* interest in going
towards CL.

--
Resistance is futile. You will be jazzimilated.

Scientific site:   http://www.lrde.epita.fr/~didier
Music (Jazz) site: http://www.didierverna.com