[Ecls-list] porting to android using NDK

Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll juanjose.garciaripoll at googlemail.com
Fri Jan 21 23:19:45 UTC 2011

On Fri, Jan 21, 2011 at 10:11 PM, Shanmuhanathan Thiagaraja <
sthiagaraja at prshanmu.com> wrote:

> Is there an ECL port to android/ARM?
> If not is there someone working on it?
> I am planning to get started, but it seems a daunting task as I very
> little experience in porting.
> Is there any pointers/tips for porting to a new platform?
> I have searched the email archives/documentation/wiki.

If your platform supports building Autoconf'ed software (./configure; make;
make install) and it has a reasonably complete C/POSIX library, then your
work will be constrained to one or more of the following steps:

- Verify that ECL finds and uses all the software features during
configuration.
- Verify that the GMP library builds or use a prebuilt copy.
- Verify that the Boehm-Weiser library builds or use a prebuilt copy (ported
to Android).
- Maybe adapt ECL to the toolchain (pass CC=compiler-name, CFLAGS=...,
LDFLAGS=...)
- Perhaps adapt parts of the C code that use standard features which are not
available (fenv.h,  sockets, ... there are not that many)

With this you should get at least a "ecl_min" (bootstrap) executable
running. This is more or less a guarantee that the ported software works.
Bootstrapping (that is parsing the code and producing the remaining C files)
should work like a charm.