[Ecls-list] Release ready

Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll juanjose.garciaripoll at googlemail.com
Sun Jan 16 18:16:23 UTC 2011

Hi everybody,

first of all, thanks for your quick feedback. I have tried to address all
issues and verify the corresponding reports. Let me here summarize
the pending problems before I bundle everything in the next release.

It has been pointed out that on mingw ECL requires libgc.dll to be
available. Note that ECL no longer requires the user to build and install GC
or GMP separately. When ECL uses its own copies of the libraries they are
automatically installed together with ECL. When the user  instructs ECL to
use external copies of those libraries, it is the responsibility of the user
to make those libraries available (PATH, copy them, etc).

Another problem was related to unresolved symbols when linking ecl_min. That
was a serious problem which was not apparent in my Linux and OS X
distributions: libffi must be present in ecl_min, even if not used by the
program at build time. I have added -libffi to CORE_LIBS, removing it from
LIBS and LDPATH.

It has been mentioned the possibility of including/shipping libffi with
ECL. I do not have right now a clear decision about bundling libffi. It will
have to wait until after this release is published (Maybe 11.1.2)

Francogrex mentioned also a problem about detecting a preinstalled libffi
that comes with mingw. I have not found such a library in my system.

The patch for etags and the fix for the Makefile were committed today. Some
changes were needed to make it work on other "make"s

There were some problems when compiling ECL with a C++ compiler. These were
fixed today.

Regarding Stas Boukarev's problems with require-ing ASDF and compiling a
test file that defines the ASDF package, I could not reproduce it in any
system with a clean new copy of ECL. Note that binary files may be rendered
incompatible among commits, or by changing the configuration flags. This
means that ASDF's cache (~/.cache/common-lisp) sometimes has to be cleaned
up when it does not recognize those changes (it normally does, when built
from a git repo)