[Ecls-list] Windows self-installer

Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll juanjose.garciaripoll at googlemail.com
Wed Jan 5 22:04:36 UTC 2011

On Wed, Jan 5, 2011 at 8:39 PM, Anton Vodonosov <avodonosov at yandex.ru>wrote:

> It's only my opinion, I can't say for all Windows user, but I personally
> prefer just a .zip or .tgz archive.
> Installer doesn't make too much sense for me, and if there would be both
> installer and .zip available, I would choze .zip.

Doing one or the other does not make a difference. I was in general
reluctant to distribute binaries for other reasons: difficult to assert the
quality of it, variety of possible builds, etc.

> What I mean, If other Wiindows users have the same opinion, you may save
> some efforts.

The distribution of binaries is motivated by a general complaint of Windows
users that ECL does not provide self-installing executables and it is very
difficult to get running -- requires msys, mingw, or msvc, or something like
that.