[Ecls-list] INLINE now works

Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll juanjose.garciaripoll at googlemail.com
Sun Dec 18 19:33:22 UTC 2011

On Sun, Dec 18, 2011 at 8:09 PM, Matthew Mondor <mm_lists at pulsar-zone.net>wrote:

> If I remember SBCL inlines flet/labels by default, yet I'm unsure if
> this is always done or only for small functions, I assume the latter.

I am not very keen on this, at least not with the current code, because
analyzing what is large and what not is a bit complicated and can only be
done in the second phase of the analysis -- when everything is stored as a
list of structures and the lisp code is no longer recognizable.

In any case, if the FLET/LABELS function is small enough and is not closed
over variables, the C compiler will inline it most of the time.

> Is inlining also possible for setf functions?

Good question... Actually it does not work, but because of a stupid bug
that also prevents the compiler from analyzing any kind of compiler macro
for SETF forms. Will fix it later on.