[Ecls-list] fatal: relocation errors on Solaris x86 and OpenSolaris 64-bit.

Dr. David Kirkby david.kirkby at onetel.net
Mon Nov 8 08:45:59 UTC 2010

On 11/ 8/10 02:13 AM, Gabriel Dos Reis wrote:

>> Unless I am mistaken, this problem is only seen with gcc.
>
> In other forums, you have lamented that C programmers don't write codes
> according to the C standard.  Well, computed gotos are not standard C.
> I'm surprised that you are advocating to keep them regardless.
> They do impose some constraints on generation of position-independent codes.
> Even though one might argue that GCC has a regression/bug compared to
> previous versions, you should know that the construct itself is non-standard.
>
> -- Gaby

Personally I would not make use of the extensions I must admit.

I don't know if this is a regression in gcc or not. It may never have worked.
Until recently, Sage, the project I work on, was only being built 32-bit, so I
would have been unaware of any problems with older GCC's and this position
independent code problem. It is only when trying 64-bit builds more recently,
that the issue arose.

Whilst the 32-bit is not position independent, it does not appear to cause any
problems on 32-bit builds, but it does on 64-bit builds. (Of course, there may
be problems on 32-bit builds and our test suite has never found them. But on
64-bit builds, it causing a failure to link).

I assumed the fact the Sun compiler was compiling this without problems, that
the code was standard C, but I take your word for the fact the bit of code is
not. I don't actually know precisely the bit of affected code, so I was unaware
it was not C.

dave