[Ecls-list] (princ "ひらかな") error on windows build.

Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll juanjose.garciaripoll at googlemail.com
Sun Mar 28 20:41:36 UTC 2010

2010/3/19 Choongyeol Yoo <spcvar at gmail.com>

> Hi.
> I made ECL 10.3.1 installed on windows xp and linux.
> To test CJK characters with ECL, I tried simple test like  *(princ
> "ひらかな").*
> On linux build, simply it succeeded.
> But, on windows build, built with msvc 2008, unicode enabled, * it
> was failed as shown below.*
> Any solution or suggestion needed to the error.
> Thanks for this great implementation.

I have identified a couple of problems associated to Unicode, but I can not
debug completely the one you mention.

The terminal is opened using a simple encoding :LATIN-1. It has to be
changed to a diferent encoding in order to allow I/O of asiatic characters

(EXT:STREAM-EXTERNAL-FORMAT-SET *standard-input* ....)
(EXT:STREAM-EXTERNAL-FORMAT-SET *standard-output* ....)

where the "..." is a keyword naming the actual locale that you suspect is
the correct one.

I am unsure about the appropriate choice of encoding for a Windows terminal.
In older experiments it seemed to me that Windows does not use UTF-8. It
would be nice if you could help us identify whether this is the case using
some simple program, such as

(loop for i = (read-byte *standard-input*) do (print i))

and seeing whether your CJK characters are actually UTF-8 encoded in the
terminal or not. Then you may experiment with STREAM-EXTERNAL-FORMAT-SET to
find out the right encoding among the many that ECL supports.

http://tream.dreamhosters.com