[Ecls-list] Error reporting to slime for c-inline/redirecting gcc output?

Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll juanjose.garciaripoll at googlemail.com
Fri Mar 19 22:07:07 UTC 2010

On Fri, Mar 19, 2010 at 10:59 PM, Seth Burleigh <seth at tewebs.com> wrote:

> Could run-program be copied and modified for the compiler so that it
> doesn't enclose each separate  arguments in quotes (so you could just
> pass the whole argument string)? Currently the compiler already passes
> the whole string into the system function and i dont think this is any
> more/less sensitive to spaces in arguments than whatever c functions
> run-program uses (well, i don't actually know, but thats why im asking).

RUN-PROGRAM is different from SYSTEM. The former is based on execve() and
thus it needs a list of strings. One string per argument. No two arguments
can be collapsed in the same string. This is crucial, AFAI remember.

SYSTEM just gets a string and performs the splitting of arguments itself.

So the point is that we have to be careful with the list of arguments that
the compiler gets from autoconf, how they are split, how we add additional
arguments and a lot of other things. It is worth doing it but it is not just
a matter of cut&paste.

http://tream.dreamhosters.com