[Ecls-list] Unbuffered FD stream for stdin/out/err with threads

Matthew Mondor mm_lists at pulsar-zone.net
Mon Mar 15 04:52:42 UTC 2010

Hello,

I noticed that when ECL is built with threads, an unbuffered stream
over the file descriptors is used for stdin/stdout/stderr which cause a
syscall per character to be issued, which is quite suboptimal.

Since my local tree keeps using the FILE streams in threaded mode and
I've not exprienced any problems (using NetBSD-5), is this related to
an OS-specific issue with stdio streams and threads?

If so, perhaps we could identify the OSs which must avoid using stdio
FILE with threads and only use unbuffered FD streams with them?

I attached a patch which may be used for testing this, and for instance
an || could be used to add the systems on which this causes problems
along with the __Darwin__ check...  Perhaps that autoconfig magic could
be used, even.

Thanks,
--
Matt