[Ecls-list] make-build vs. xlib

Julian Stecklina js at alien8.de
Fri Mar 12 02:38:01 UTC 2010

Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll
<juanjose.garciaripoll at googlemail.com> writes:

> On Wed, Mar 10, 2010 at 12:25 AM, Julian Stecklina <js at alien8.de> wrote:
>
>> If I load the system on the REPL, everything works as expected and the
>> PRINT prints #<"XLIB" package>. If I compile foo to a standalone binary
>> using (asdf:make-build 'foo :type :program), I get NIL, i.e. the XLIB
>> module is missing from the binary.
>>

> This has nothing to do with XLIB per se. The problem is simply that
> precompiled modules (xlib, asdf, etc) can not be included in standalone
> binaries. That requires a bit more hacking of ASDF than is currently done,
> as well as changing the build process to install statically linked versions
> of those modules.

I noticed that it affects only precompiled modules. This fact might be a
good addition to the manual, until it is eventually fixed.

Btw, although my lisp-hacking time is down to close to zero, I am very
impressed by the development ECL has taken in the last year. With a
workaround for the above issue, stumpwm on ECL "just works" and it
compiles to a 1,4MB binary. :-D

Regards,
--
Julian Stecklina

The day Microsoft makes something that doesn't suck is probably the day
they start making vacuum cleaners - Ernst Jan Plugge