[Ecls-list] ecl-editline -- poll for inclusion and test phase

Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll juanjose.garciaripoll at googlemail.com
Tue Mar 9 19:56:26 UTC 2010

On Tue, Mar 9, 2010 at 1:55 AM, Jason Aquilina <jfa7600 at yahoo.com.au> wrote:

>  Once it is working I will include it in ECL as a contrib module, if you
> do not mind.
>
> That would be great - it's nice to be able to contribute something back to
> ECL, albeit as small as it is.

There are no small contributions. A minor usability improvement can be
perceived as 1000% more important than a 10% improvement in the garbage
collector times, or the implementation of a new API. I believe ecl-editline
will help ECL a lot.

> One quick question. Not being a licensing expert I assume that the
> licensing for ecl-editline should be a BSD style license, given that it uses
> libedit which has a Berkeley style license and this seems to be what people
> want for redistribution purposes.

People said at the mailing list that the license is BSD. That is ok.

> I'm happy with that. I'll get it sorted out at my end, such as having the
> correct licensing in the code and any bug fixes etc. I want  to change it to
> use the libedit API as opposed to the readline compatible layer.

Thanks again for your help. It is really appreciated.