[Ecls-list] Win32 MSVC Build Problems

Greg Santucci thecodewitch at gmail.com
Fri Mar 5 10:00:51 UTC 2010

The latest version of ECL from git builds correctly in the Win32 MSVC
environment, and passes all the tests I ran: embedding, threads, sockets,
Emacs/Slime integration and building lispbuilder-sdl and cl-opengl (with
some modification - need to split up long source files) all work.

Details of the tests:

Embedding test - After making a very minor change to my source due to an API
improvement:

cl_princ_to_string(1, output) becomes cl_princ_to_string(output)

C++/Qt apps which use ECL compiled and ran non-trivial examples, and were
steppable in debug.

Threads test and compiling packages test - While running ECL from
Emacs/Slime, I compiled the lispbuilder-sdl and cl-opengl packages. I ran a
modified version of the metaballs example (modified so I can add balls by
adding entires to a globally accessible list) in a thread, manipulated the
running program (added balls) from the REPL, queried the running threads,
and closed metaballs without problems.

Sockets test - Running ECL through Emacs/Slime tests the ECL socket facility
already, but I also tested it using a C++/Qt app which communicates with a
running ECL process by reading from and writing to a server started by ECL
from an Emacs/Slime REPL. This worked without problems.

The version I tested was from here:

http://ecls.git.sourceforge.net/git/gitweb.cgi?p=ecls/ecl;a=snapshot;h=f1881752be84fca7fb784d4783e8f44b2a6fca1f;sf=tgz

Greg