[Ecls-list] Problem with compiled asdf.

Pascal J. Bourguignon pjb at informatimago.com
Mon Jun 28 04:52:11 UTC 2010

With ecl 10.4.2, for some ASDF systems, I get this error:

In function CAR, the value of the only argument is
  #<The BUILT-IN-CLASS SYMBOL>
which is not of the expected type LIST

For example:

>> (asdf:find-system :com.informatimago.clext)

; registering #<SYSTEM :COM.INFORMATIMAGO.CLEXT> as COM.INFORMATIMAGO.CLEXT
Debugger received error: Error while trying to load definition for system com.informatimago.clext from pathname PACKAGES:COM;INFORMATIMAGO;CLEXT;SYSTEM.ASD: In function CAR, the value of the only argument is
  #<The BUILT-IN-CLASS SYMBOL>
which is not of the expected type LIST
Error flushed.
>> :b

Backtrace:
  > CAR
  > lambda
  > asdf-load
  > si:bytecodes [Evaluation of: (asdf-load :com.informatimago.common-lisp)]
  > si:bytecodes [Evaluation of: (load "/home/pjb/firms/medicalis/src/mdi/subprojects/dependencies/initialize.lisp")]
  > si:bytecodes [Evaluation of: (si:top-level)]

The backtrace is rather uninformative, there's no call to CAR in the lambda of asdf-load:

(defun asdf-load (&rest systems)
  (mapcar (lambda (system) (asdf:operate 'asdf:load-op system)) systems))

So I tried to load the sources of asdf, and lo!  No error anymore!

Which would let me thing something's amiss in the compilation of the asdf contrib.

(load"/home/pjb/firms/medicalis/src/tools/ecl-10.4.2/contrib/asdf/asdf.lisp")
; after having commented out the cline...

Sorry, any try to find a minimal source demonstrating the problem
proved too small to show it.  But I could provide a giant tarball.