[Ecls-list] OpenSolaris issue : Error: suffix or operands invalid for `mov'

Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll juanjose.garciaripoll at googlemail.com
Sat Jun 19 07:32:01 UTC 2010

On Sat, Jun 19, 2010 at 12:22 AM, Dr. David Kirkby
<david.kirkby at onetel.net>wrote:

> I should have added, the option
> --without-dffi
> was already added to ECL - without it, ECL would not build.

Of course, because of the error message you showed before, which was due to
not using --without-dffi.

> However, although the option allowed ECL to build, Maxima failed to build
> very quickly. The error message generated by Maxima looks quite similar to
> that which ECL generates if that option is not given.

I think you are quite confused with this. If you do not use --without-dffi,
then you get the previous messages which are due to problems with the inline
assembly

/var/tmp//cclaaOtH.s: Assembler messages:
/var/tmp//cclaaOtH.s:49: Error: suffix or operands invalid for `mov'
/var/tmp//cclaaOtH.s:51: Error: suffix or operands invalid for `mov'
/var/tmp//cclaaOtH.s:140: Error: suffix or operands invalid for `mov'

This is not at all what you showed in the ticket. In the ticket you used
--without-dffi and thus the DFFI was not linked in and ECL built, but then
Maxim afailed to link

ld.so.1: ecl: fatal: relocation error: R_AMD64_PC32: file
/export/home/drkirkby/sage-4.4.2/local/lib//libecl.so: symbol main:
value 0x22800097de04 does not fit

The only thing I can think of is that Maxima is being compiled with some
other flags that are not the same used to build ECL. For instance if some
object model option (-fPIC?) disappears when compiling files vs. when
building ECL. That should not happen, but I can not see it from your ticket.

http://tream.dreamhosters.com