[Ecls-list] OpenSolaris issue : Error: suffix or operands invalid for `mov'

Dr. David Kirkby david.kirkby at onetel.net
Fri Jun 18 22:22:58 UTC 2010

On 06/18/10 01:41 PM, Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll wrote:
> Use of the dynamic foreign function interface is discouraged unless you have
> libffi around. Use --without-dffi or install the previously mentioned
> library in a place where ECL's configuration program can find it.
>
> I am not going to fix that assembler code or make it support other compilers
> because libffi is a perfectly fine and well supported tool, while our code
> is more like a hack.
>
> Juanjo

I should have added, the option

--without-dffi

was already added to ECL - without it, ECL would not build. However, although
the option allowed ECL to build, Maxima failed to build very quickly. The error
message generated by Maxima looks quite similar to that which ECL generates if
that option is not given.

See

Note

http://developers.sun.com/solaris/articles/about_amd64_abi.html