[Ecls-list] Build of ECL breaks for parallel builds.

Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll juanjose.garciaripoll at googlemail.com
Fri Jun 18 19:56:13 UTC 2010

On Fri, Jun 18, 2010 at 6:12 PM, Dr. David Kirkby
<david.kirkby at onetel.net>wrote:

> If one attempts to build ECL 10.4.1 (latest available stable release) in
> parallel, so the build goes wrong

Yes, this is known, but I do not have time / skills to track the
dependencies that break this. In general I run away from parallel builds for
my software because they cause headaches, forcing one to really sort the
dependency graph manually so as not to break anything.

Incidentally you complain about ECL's long build time, but parallel build
will NOT help you. Since in Sage you already use a previously built GMP
library (or whatever variant) the largest chunk of time is spent in running
ECL's compiler, a process that CAN NOT be parallelized, due to delicate
dependencies in bootstrapping code.

In any case I am surprised to read that ECL's build time is the bottleneck.
On my laptop it takes just 1+2 minutes to build it and it is a slow OS X
machine (32 bits). What build flags are you using?

http://tream.dreamhosters.com