[Ecls-list] About the myth of slow starting

Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll juanjose.garciaripoll at googlemail.com
Sat Jun 5 18:06:55 UTC 2010

On Sat, Jun 5, 2010 at 7:13 PM, Andy Hefner <ahefner at gmail.com> wrote:

> Incidentally, it doesn't start so quickly on Mac OS X (tested on my
> Core i5 Macbook Pro):

Is this 64bits? On my desktop, a not so powerful iMac, ECL seems to perform
better since I told the OS X to use 64 bits for  everything, compilation and
running. I also appreciated the difference between Linux with 32 and 64 bits
-- in the former the garbage collector performs worse because it is
triggered more often, even for the same amount of allocated data. I reckon
this is one reason for the performance loss in some platforms, no clue yet
as to why it happens so.

http://tream.dreamhosters.com