[Ecls-list] compile-file :external-format

Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll juanjose.garciaripoll at googlemail.com
Fri Feb 19 19:12:48 UTC 2010

On Fri, Feb 19, 2010 at 7:55 PM, Tobias C. Rittweiler <tcr at freebits.de>wrote:

> Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll writes:
>
> > On Wed, Feb 17, 2010 at 8:55 PM, Tobias C. Rittweiler <tcr at freebits.de>
> wrote:
> > There is now a function called EXT:ALL-ENCODINGS that lists all
> > available encoding names.
> >
> > Juanjo
>
> That seems to return the same list regardless of whether ECL was built
> with --enable-unicode or --disable-unicode.

This is because you forgot to cleanup your installation when using
--disable-unicode : there is a stale directory of encodings left out in
lib/ecl-10.2.1 or whatever. I will add a bit more intelligence to the
function to avoid this problem.

> Your Slime patch which just comments out the definition of
> FIND-EXTERNAL-FORMAT in swank-ecl.lisp is not really right. Even when
> ECL was built without unicode, it supposedly supports (all or some of,
> pardon my ignorance on this issue) the LATIN-N encodings.

No, it does not. It uses whatever encoding the OS has, but we have no way to
know which one. For that reason in that case no external format symbol is
supported except :DEFAULT The fact that it uses an I/O function called
latin1* internally is because it is just an 8-bit reading function and I did
not want to duplicate lines of code.