[Ecls-list] compile-file :external-format

Tobias C. Rittweiler tcr at freebits.de
Fri Feb 19 18:55:36 UTC 2010

Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll writes:

> On Wed, Feb 17, 2010 at 8:55 PM, Tobias C. Rittweiler <tcr at freebits.de> wrote:
>> While you're at it, is there a function to find out whether something
>> represents a valid external format (find-external-format)? I see there's
>> EXT:MAKE-ENCODING but I'm not sure how good a fit that is.
>>
>> Alternatively, is there a way to get a list of all available external
>> formats.
>
> There is now a function called EXT:ALL-ENCODINGS that lists all
> available encoding names.
>
> Juanjo

That seems to return the same list regardless of whether ECL was built
with --enable-unicode or --disable-unicode.

Your Slime patch which just comments out the definition of
FIND-EXTERNAL-FORMAT in swank-ecl.lisp is not really right. Even when
ECL was built without unicode, it supposedly supports (all or some of,
pardon my ignorance on this issue) the LATIN-N encodings.

We need something to find out whether a given external format is
supported by the ECL instance one is running.

  -T.