[Ecls-list] Question #2

Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll juanjose.garciaripoll at googlemail.com
Mon Feb 15 22:27:48 UTC 2010

On Mon, Feb 15, 2010 at 10:59 PM, Gabriel Dos Reis <
gdr at integrable-solutions.net> wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 15, 2010 at 3:29 PM, Tobias C. Rittweiler <tcr at freebits.de>
> wrote:
> > How can restarts be nuisances?  You mean because users are dropped into
> > the debugger?
>
> yes; most OpenAxiom users don't really care that behind the scene we
> are using a Lisp system.  And dropping a end user into a debugger, for
> a delivered application, is not what I would consider a user-friendly
> interface.

I am not at all for "clever" implementations because they prevent users from
customizing the behavior. For instance, why impose a precise behavior for a
stale-fasl error instead of just signalling an uncorrectable error and let
the user handle it? ASDF could provide, via HANDLER-BIND, the appropriate
recompilation restarts, but other software might not have that possibility
-- in particular OpenAxiom invokes ECL for every file that is to be compiled
-- and ECL itself does not know how to recompile arbitrary FASL files.