[Ecls-list] failure on cygwin

Martin Rubey martin.rubey at math.uni-hannover.de
Mon Oct 26 10:21:37 UTC 2009

Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll <juanjose.garciaripoll at googlemail.com> writes:

> On Mon, Oct 26, 2009 at 10:25 AM, Martin Rubey
> <martin.rubey at math.uni-hannover.de> wrote:
>>
>> LOAD: Could not load file #P"/usr/local/lib/ecl-9.10.2/cmp.fas" (Error:
>> "No  file or directory")
>>
>> (The file /usr/local/lib/ecl-9.10.2/cmp.fas does exist in my cygwin
>> tree!)
>
> Hi Martin, I have not had a look into the cygwin port for a year or
> so, and officially it does not form part yet of the set of supported
> platforms. I do not mean it could not be brought to run ECL again, but
> I do not have time to commit myself to that right now.

Oh, then you should probably say so on the homepage:

http://ecls.sourceforge.net/new-manual/pr01s06.html

(i.e., tested should get a different footnote...)

> As for the error message, cygwin lies to the programs that use it
> about many things, including the paths to files. ECL uses dlopen() to
> load files in cygwin, which may or may not be correct, and I can guess
> that this function is getting the installation path that "configure"
> told ECL "/usr/local/lib/ecl-9.10.2/cmp.fas" and not finding the file
> because of a problem translating the pathname or so -- the file might
> be residing somewhere else, like
> c:\cygwin\usr\local\lib\ecl-9.10.2\cmp.fas
>
> To find out whether the previous blah blah blah is right, you may copy
> that cmp.fas file to your current directory and see whether you can do
> (load "cmp.fas")

Well, it fails with the same error message, well nearly:

>> LOAD: Could not load file #P"/tmp/cmp.fas" (Error:
>> "No file or directory")

(I'm writing this from memory, since the windows machine is located
elsewhere, but I think I got it right...)

Curiously, loading lisp files just works.

Martin