[Ecls-list] failure on cygwin

Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll juanjose.garciaripoll at googlemail.com
Mon Oct 26 09:56:23 UTC 2009

On Mon, Oct 26, 2009 at 10:25 AM, Martin Rubey
<martin.rubey at math.uni-hannover.de> wrote:

> LOAD: Could not load file #P"/usr/local/lib/ecl-9.10.2/cmp.fas" (Error:
> "No  file or directory")
>
> (The file /usr/local/lib/ecl-9.10.2/cmp.fas does exist in my cygwin
> tree!)

Hi Martin, I have not had a look into the cygwin port for a year or
so, and officially it does not form part yet of the set of supported
platforms. I do not mean it could not be brought to run ECL again, but
I do not have time to commit myself to that right now.

As for the error message, cygwin lies to the programs that use it
about many things, including the paths to files. ECL uses dlopen() to
load files in cygwin, which may or may not be correct, and I can guess
that this function is getting the installation path that "configure"
told ECL "/usr/local/lib/ecl-9.10.2/cmp.fas" and not finding the file
because of a problem translating the pathname or so -- the file might
be residing somewhere else, like
c:\cygwin\usr\local\lib\ecl-9.10.2\cmp.fas

To find out whether the previous blah blah blah is right, you may copy
that cmp.fas file to your current directory and see whether you can do
(load "cmp.fas") It will fail with a different message, probably,
because cmp.fas would be out of place, but that would be a hint of a
problem with cygwin and paths.