[Ecls-list] ECL build issues on Solaris 10 and OpenSolaris

Dr. David Kirkby david.kirkby at onetel.net
Tue Oct 6 21:29:45 UTC 2009

Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 6, 2009 at 8:36 PM, Dr. David Kirkby
> <david.kirkby at onetel.net> wrote:
>> Would you be interested in adding HP-UX to your supported platforms?
>
> That would be nice. One of the reasons why I began working on ECL is
> because I needed a lisp for an HP-UX from our department :-)
>
>> I would like to see a port of Sage to HP-UX, and have an HP-UX box of my
>> own, which I could give you access too. However, it would not be
>> suitable for your build farm, as like my personal Sun you used, it would
>> be on an ADSL line. As such, I could compile and give you bug reports,
>> and where necessary you could log in yourself.
>
> That's ok. I would not list it as a regularly testet platform, but
> people could still get some support if something breaks with future
> releases.
>
> Juanjo

You are welcome. I'm trying to set the HP-UX machine up somewhat (it
does not even have 'unzip' on it, which surprised me somewhat). Hence I
need to spend some time getting some common tools on there - wget, cvs etc.

But then at some time later, we can try ECL again.

I also have an AIX box which I hope to get going in the next month or so.

The idea is, that as Winter approaches, some old Unix boxes of mine
(which currently collect dust in the garage), will be turned on to stop
the water freezing in the garage! Rather than use them as just heaters,
I might as well get some use out of them!

I'll certainly have a quick try with Sage in the next month or two on
HP-UX and possibly AIX too. (I have an IBM RS 6000)

I've also got Tru64 and IRIX machines here, though I think both Tru64
and IRIX are dead as far as operating systems go.

The SGI Octane is like a fan heater, so I guess if the Winter is very
severe, I'll be running IRIX too! I don't know how much power that thing
uses, but I always recall it sticking out lots of heat.

Dave