[Ecls-list] ECL build issues on Solaris 10 and OpenSolaris

Dr. David Kirkby david.kirkby at onetel.net
Tue Oct 6 07:23:51 UTC 2009

Semih Cemiloglu wrote:
> Dear ECL users,
>
> I'm trying to build latest stable release of ECL (v9.8.4) on Solaris
> 10/OpenSolaris with Sun Studio C/C++ compilers. On Both platforms I am
> getting build failures. Has anyone of you build ECL v9.8.4 on these
> platforms recently? If so, what build commands did you use?
>
> The errors I have seen are listed below:
>
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> == Solaris 10/sparc build errors: ==
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

<SNIP>

As someone said, you could try the latest snapshot, which may work. I'm
not sure how stable that is though - you would have to ask Juango, the
main ECL developer.

If that does not work, a snapshot I took a snapshot on the 13th
September that does work on Solaris 10 update 7 on SPARC (I've not tried
OpenSolaris though).

I gave Juanjo has access to a Sun T5240 SPARC at the University of
Washington, which he uses for testing on Solaris 10 update 7. (That was
kindly donated by Sun to the Sage project).

I also gave Juanjo access to an old machine of mine, which I set up with
the very first release of Solaris 10 (03/2005 I think). Juanjo made the
necessary changes to ensure ECL worked on that too. So I know Juango has
code which has worked on both the first release of Solaris 10, and the
last release of Solaris 10 on SPARC.

I'm not sure whether he tests on x86. I suspect he does, as he does have
access to a virtual machine running OpenSolaris on x86 hardware.

Dave