[Ecls-list] Experimental ECL Support for Stumpwm

Julian Stecklina js at alien8.de
Mon Oct 5 01:05:24 UTC 2009

Hello,

I had started implementing the low-level stuff for ECL support while
writing my thesis earlier this year. Then I got side tracked and forgot
it. I took some time to polish it up a bit and committed it to stumpwm
HEAD some minutes ago. Although it is not complete, I think that it is a
useful starting point for other people to hack on it.

To try it out, build ECL (I used the development version, but the latest
release should work, too) and in your stumpwm directory do:
 ./configure --with-lisp=ecl --with-ppcre=[path to your cl-ppcre.asd]
make stumpwm

This tries to build a binary using ECL's ASDF:MAKE-BUILD, which uses the
ASDF definitions to build a normal executable. See make-image.lisp.in
for details.

There are currently the following problems:

ECL ships with a version of CLX, if you configure it with
--with-clx. This does not fully integrate with ASDF and thus MAKE-BUILD
fails to find it. The current workaround is to build ECL without CLX
support and change make-lisp.lisp after configuring stumpwm to load
portable-clx's clx.asd. I think this can be considered an ECL bug.

module.lisp uses ASDF functions to locate contrib modules. The stumpwm
system definition has no direct dependency on ASDF. So MAKE-BUILD does
not include it in the binary and calls to these functions throw an
error. Just adding (require :asdf) at the top of module.lisp works
around this. I am unsure whether stumpwm should include this dependency
or whether ECL should always include ASDF. Any suggestions?

With these workarounds you can build a stumpwm binary (4MB stripped,
nice!). Unfortunately, it either just exits without any message/error or
executes (stumpwm:stumpwm) several times. I won't have time to
investigate this for the next several days, because I am attending a
conference. So if anyone wants to hack on this, knock yourselves out. ;)

Regards,
--
Julian Stecklina

The day Microsoft makes something that doesn't suck is probably the day
they start making vacuum cleaners - Ernst Jan Plugge