[Ecls-list] examples or documentation on debugging...

Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll juanjose.garciaripoll at googlemail.com
Wed Jun 10 08:28:20 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jun 9, 2009 at 7:50 PM, Tobias C. Rittweiler<tcr at freebits.de> wrote:
>> I was also made aware that using form number is not really useful when
>> the code changes the readtable or use #+ or #-.
>
> Examples? People may have to adapt SWANK:*READTABLE-ALIST*, or
> alternatively use named-readtables at
>  http://common-lisp.net/~trittweiler/darcs/editor-hints/named-readtables/

I do not know if you notice how quickly requirements pile up: slime,
additional libraries and coding conventions...

> Are the new changes on the debugger and inspector documented? What can
> be used to discriminate the current version from what was there before?

They are not yet committed and the API has not been changed. I will
produce a patch for slime that I will post to the mailing list, if you
do not mind -- I lost my committ account data long time ago.

> Notice, now that you're working on it, that Slime can first go to a
> tentative position (computed from form number, or given by file/line
> position), and then search for a given snippet in a short region around
> that position. The snippet comes from the Lisp implementation, e.g. the
> first, say, 128 characters of a toplevel form.

I noticed that is what the SBCL port uses. SBCL stores file positions,
not form numbers. That would make already two implementations relying
on the same kind of information and maybe on could factor the code
out.

> Notice further, that Slime can cope with form paths. A form path is the
> path into the tree that the source of a toplevel form represents. This
> way, you can get various highlighting of the actual offending subforms
> rather than the whole toplevel form.

Unfortunately we do not keep that much information right now. I also
do not see how it could be kept useful once macros are used -- they
pretty much change the code structure and slime should then be able to
decode that. Is it possible? How are source code paths stored? List of
indices into lists?