[Ecls-list] examples or documentation on debugging...

Blair Sutton blairuk at googlemail.com
Tue Jun 9 20:29:04 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jun 9, 2009 at 6:50 PM, Tobias C. Rittweiler <tcr at freebits.de>wrote:

> Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll wrote:
>
> > I was also made aware that using form number is not really useful when
> > the code changes the readtable or use #+ or #-. Indeed, this is the
> > case in a couple of libraries and should be a major problem debugging
> > them.
>
> Examples? People may have to adapt SWANK:*READTABLE-ALIST*, or
> alternatively use named-readtables at
>
>  http://common-lisp.net/~trittweiler/darcs/editor-hints/named-readtables/<http://common-lisp.net/%7Etrittweiler/darcs/editor-hints/named-readtables/>
>

> > Things are as follows. First, Slime will have to be upgraded to
> > understand the environment produced by C functions (basically it
> > involves calling si::decode-ihs-env)
>
> Are the new changes on the debugger and inspector documented? What can
> be used to discriminate the current version from what was there before?
>

> > Second, ECL is being changed to record not the form number, but the
> > precise file position at which the form was read. Please understand
> > that this is a complicated change -- we might not get it right the
> > first time -- since it involves detecting forms that are ignorable
> > (#+/- conditionals, comments, etc).
>
> In my experience, form numbers work better than file positions because
> there's somewhat less chance that they turn wrong on interactive
> modification of the files.
>
> Notice, now that you're working on it, that Slime can first go to a
> tentative position (computed from form number, or given by file/line
> position), and then search for a given snippet in a short region around
> that position. The snippet comes from the Lisp implementation, e.g. the
> first, say, 128 characters of a toplevel form.
>
> Notice further, that Slime can cope with form paths. A form path is the
> path into the tree that the source of a toplevel form represents. This
> way, you can get various highlighting of the actual offending subforms
> rather than the whole toplevel form.
>
>  -T.

I'd like to thank everyone for their help.

I finally discovered the problem was Maxima's slightly outdated
defsystem.lisp library. I have submitted a patch to the Maxima team.

On a side point. I noticed that ECL does not build correctly on Windows in
folders that contain a white space character. Would it be possible to update
the documentation to warn other developers attempting to compile ECL on this
platform?