[Ecls-list] ECL shootout

Gabriel Dos Reis gdr at integrable-solutions.net
Sun Jul 5 00:58:15 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jul 3, 2009 at 3:49 AM, Juan Jose
Garcia-Ripoll<juanjose.garciaripoll at googlemail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 3, 2009 at 10:29 AM, Gabriel Dos
> Reis<gdr at integrable-solutions.net> wrote:
>> It is late here, so I'm going to bed -- I still think the automatic static
>> link work around has the better hand so far :-)
>
> Would it be compatible with the OpenAxiom build process? Is ECL called
> more than once, so that gmon.out files would get deleted?

ECL is indeed called more than once, so gmon.out gets effectively
overwritten.  But
that is a limitation of gprof (and sprof) itself, not related to the fact that
the 'ecl' is linked statically of not.

I do not think that the suggestion is equivalent to --disable-shared.
The reason is that we still want to be able to dynamically load FASLs.
I was under the impression that once build with --disable-shared, one can't
do that.  The suggestion I made was that when ECL builds a standalone
program it should link statically.

-- Gaby