[Ecls-list] Major changes (help wanted)

Anton Vodonosov avodonosov at yandex.ru
Sat Jan 3 14:47:00 UTC 2009

My idea is not dictated by any immediate needs.

I think about the fact, that all the Lisp
compilers implement the same thing again and again,
but people create their own libraries for the task
because of portability issues, once again reimplementing
the same thing.

While for other APIs such as threading, reusing single
portable implementation may be difficult, things like
char/byte conversions seem to be easier to reuse.

If a Lisp system provide plug-in mechanism for encoding
facility, user may employ existing library such as
flexi-streams for this (either providing a whole Gray
stream or just external-format object in case of the
first suggested interface).

This is general thinking, I don't know if the idea
is really practical for the ECL development.

Best regards,
- Anton