[Ecls-list] ECL on iPhone?

Ram Krishnan kriyative at gmail.com
Mon Dec 14 04:24:04 UTC 2009

Elliott Slaughter wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 13, 2009 at 7:45 AM, Ram Krishnan <kriyative at gmail.com
> <mailto:kriyative at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Elliott Slaughter wrote:
>>     On Sat, Dec 12, 2009 at 9:01 AM, Ram Krishnan
>>     <kriyative at gmail.com <mailto:kriyative at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>>         Hi Elliott,
>>
>>         I started with Red Daly's work (which you referenced),
>>         cleaned up a few dependencies, and got ECL running in both
>>         the simulator and device. You can checkout a copy from github:
>>
>>         http://github.com/kriyative/ecl-iphone-builder
>>
>>         It's based on ecl-9.8.4, and requires a newer Boehm-GC
>>         (gc-7.2alpha2).
>>
>>         I still have some changes to the UIKit ffi code, which I've
>>         not checked in yet (mostly to do with Autorelease pools
>>         etc.). Other than that you should be able to build, and
>>         connect to ECL via SLIME. Let me know if you run into any issues.
>>

>>     I cloned your repo and tried the instructions in the README, but
>>     the build still failed. For a while it looked like it was doing
>>     something, and it even loaded ECL and started compiling
>>     something, but after a while it ended with the following:
>>     /Users/elliott/Programming/Lisp/ecl-iphone-builder/ecl-9.8.4/build/cross_config:
>>     line 25: syntax error near unexpected token `)'
>     Please check the comments in this post:
>
>     http://funcall.posterous.com/ecl-on-iphone-redux
>
>     I've also updated the git repo with the patches from the
>     commenter. This might fix your build issue.
>

> Yes, the issue posted by the commenter resulted in the error I saw.
> Curiously, however, I needed to quadruple-escape instead of
> double-escape in order to fix the issue.
>
> However, even after fixing that, I still the following error:

> checking whether ln -s works... yes
> An error occurred during initialization:
> Module error: Don't know how to REQUIRE ASDF..
> configure: error: The program ECL-MIN is not installed in your system
> make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found.  Stop.
> cp: build/*.a: No such file or directory
> chmod:
> /Users/elliott/Programming/Lisp/ecl-iphone-builder/iphone/device/lib/ecl*/dpp:
> No such file or directory
> chmod:
> /Users/elliott/Programming/Lisp/ecl-iphone-builder/iphone/device/lib/ecl*/ecl_min:
> No such file or directory
> /Developer/Platforms/iPhoneOS.platform/Developer/usr/bin/lipo: can't
> open input file:
> /Users/elliott/Programming/Lisp/ecl-iphone-builder/iphone/device/lib/libbytecmp.a
> (No such file or directory)
> /Developer/Platforms/iPhoneOS.platform/Developer/usr/bin/lipo: can't
> open input file:
> /Users/elliott/Programming/Lisp/ecl-iphone-builder/iphone/device/lib/libecl.a
> (No such file or directory)
> /Developer/Platforms/iPhoneOS.platform/Developer/usr/bin/lipo: can't
> open input file:
> /Users/elliott/Programming/Lisp/ecl-iphone-builder/iphone/device/lib/libeclgc.a
> (No such file or directory)
> [...]
Could you include a little more of the build output for context? I can't
tell where in the configure step this failure occurs from the above
fragment.

Also, I don't know if you already fixed the symbolic link to the gc
directory issue that the commenter had pointed out. Otherwise, the the
gc library won't build correctly.

-ram