[Ecls-list] Compilation on solaris

Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll juanjose.garciaripoll at googlemail.com
Sat Aug 22 22:19:23 UTC 2009

On Sat, Aug 22, 2009 at 11:42 PM, Dr. David
Kirkby<david.kirkby at onetel.net> wrote:
> Sort of, but since I set both those machine up, and tweaked the setups
> somewhat to make Sage build, I would not be surprised if others had more
> trouble.

You mean that you tweaked the Solaris setup to have more
gnu-compatible stuff around, I presume.

> If I use the 'Sun' make command, then a lot of ECL builds (which surprises
> me somewhat, as the Sun 'make' command is pretty dumb). But the ECL build
> finally fails with:
> make: Fatal error: Don't know how to make target `main.o'
> Current working directory /export/home/drkirkby/ecl-9.8.4/build/c
> *** Error code 1
> make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `libeclmin.a'
> Current working directory /export/home/drkirkby/ecl-9.8.4/build
> *** Error code 1
> make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `all'

Sounds like a problem with the double-suffix rules. Solaris make does
not seem to understand them properly. I have set up another build
process, but this time putting /usr/ccs/bin in front of the PATH, so
that it gets that version of "make" first. I will see what changes I
have to make in ecl/src/Makefile.in

> The way I would suggest getting around this is to tell people to set a
> variable 'MAKE' to be the name of a command which is GNU make. Or

I would rather avoid this and simplify the Makefile instead.

> In a few days, I will be setting up a machine with the very first release of
> Solaris 10 on it. If I gave you an account on that, before I put any
> software on it, you might get a different perspective. I believe you will
> hit some problems.

I already hit them with the OpenSolaris/Intel I am running the tests
in. But there the ordinary "make" from Solaris is doing fine. Maybe
they fixed something in moving from v10 to v11?

> This setup would not be suitable for a build farm, but it might be useful
> for occasional use. It's not a fast machine (only 450 MHz), nor does it have
> a fast network connection, but it might be ok for a test.

It would be fun to try. And I am used to slow builds -- mark2 takes
about 15 minutes to configure ECL, my virtualbox with mingw takes
about half an hour :-)

> It's very common to need to use the GNU make command on Solaris. What seems
> to be an issue in ECL is getting all components to use it. They start to use
> the Sun make command.

I don't know whether the information is lost when configuring sub-components.