[Ecls-list] Compilation on solaris

Dr. David Kirkby david.kirkby at onetel.net
Sat Aug 22 10:47:11 UTC 2009

Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 22, 2009 at 4:39 AM, Raymond Toy<toy.raymond at gmail.com> wrote:
>> FWIW, I have built ecl on solaris/sparc.  --enable-slow-config was very
>> helpful.  According to config.status, I used --enable-slow-config
>> ABI=32.  This was for 8.12 or so.  I haven't tried anything newer yet.
>
> I have verified my logs. ECL was built successfully on August the 19th
> using the CVS version with the flags in
> http://ecls.sourceforge.net/logs.html That was on system where uname
> returns
>
> SunOS t2 5.10 Generic_141414-02 sun4v sparc SUNW,T5240
>
> It is difficult for me interpreting OS versions, but I would say it is
> pretty recent, given the hardware's age.

I thought I'd just clarify a few things.

SunOS 5.7 = Solaris 7
SunOS 5.8 = Solaris 8
SunOS 5.9 = Solaris 9
SunOS 5.10 = Solaris 10
SunOS 5.11 = Solaris 11 (also known as OpenSolaris).

To each of these major Solaris releases, there has been various updates.
The latest standard release of Solaris is Solaris 10 update 7 - note the
'u7' in the output posted of /etc/release. 't2' is running the latest
release of Solaris 10.

OpenSolaris, which will identify itself as SunOS 5.11, is less well
tested and more leading edge than Solaris 10.

Both Solaris 10 and 11 can run on both x86 and SPARC hardware.

One other thing to note in the output above is the 'sun4v' That means
this machine is running one of Suns new 'CoolThreads' processors, which
are a bit of a mixed blessing. They are highly parallel processors, but
are ill suited to single-threaded tasks.