[Ecls-list] ECL build issues

Dr. David Kirkby david.kirkby at onetel.net
Mon Aug 3 23:18:06 UTC 2009

Dr. David Kirkby wrote:

> IMHO, the use of LD_LIBRARY_PATH is a real pain - it can cause all sorts
> of problems. I had one yesterday, where the standard install of ssh was
> generating a really odd error. I googled for it, and found it was caused
> by LD_LIBRARY_PATH. Sure enough, when I removed it, so ssh behaved ok.
> IMHO, no problem should ever need it. I can't see the security issue
> myself. Unless an admit sets LD_LIBRARY_PATH globally, I cant see how
> any user can do any damage to anyone else, no matter how they mess
> around with dodgy libraries
>

> dave

I managed to reproduce this. This is on a Sun SPARC

drkirkby at smudge:[~] $ ssh kirkby at t2
ld.so.1: ssh: fatal: relocation error: file /usr/bin/ssh: symbol
ENGINE_load_pk11: referenced symbol not found
Killed
drkirkby at smudge:[~] $ echo $LD_LIBRARY_PATH
/usr/local/lib:/opt/csw/lib
drkirkby at smudge:[~] $ unset LD_LIBRARY_PATH
drkirkby at smudge:[~] $ ssh kirkby at t2
Password:

So something in /usr/local/lib or /opt/csw/lib is messing up the
standard SSH. It appears to be related to something in
/opt/csw/lib/libz.so.1. Some files were copied to there, so it does ot
surprise me there are some broken libraries in there.

One the whole, LD_LIBRARY_PATH is a pain.