[Ecls-list] ECL build issues

Dr. David Kirkby david.kirkby at onetel.net
Mon Aug 3 22:47:29 UTC 2009

Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 4, 2009 at 12:00 AM, David A. Ventimiglia<ventimig at msu.edu> wrote:
>> That all makes sense.  From a user's perspective, is it ok then just to
>> add /usr/local/lib (or whever the shared object file ends up) into the
>> LD_LIBRARY_PATH env variable?
>
> That can also be done globally, via a file from /etc/ld.so.conf or
> something like that. Either that, or you supply the appropriate -rpath
> to ecl at configuration time
>
> LDFLAGS="-Wl,-rpath,/usr/local/lib" ./configure ....
>
> Juanjo

IMHO, the use of LD_LIBRARY_PATH is a real pain - it can cause all sorts
of problems. I had one yesterday, where the standard install of ssh was
generating a really odd error. I googled for it, and found it was caused
by LD_LIBRARY_PATH. Sure enough, when I removed it, so ssh behaved ok.
IMHO, no problem should ever need it. I can't see the security issue
myself. Unless an admit sets LD_LIBRARY_PATH globally, I cant see how
any user can do any damage to anyone else, no matter how they mess
around with dodgy libraries

dave